Two Cents on "Career Path or Purpose"



Credits to 
Poster Journal


What is your purpose in life?


Sounds like a simple question back then. Me? In my school years, my purpose was to finish the elementary, middle, and high school with flying colors, therefore make my parents proud. Specifically in high school, I was aiming to get into a reputable public university, and I was hoping to enter med school. Which I actually didn't make it. It was a hard pill to swallow that I wasn't smart enough to get into med school (guurl I didn't even have the gut to dislocate mice and toads in animal physiology. I'd be ~ded~). Thinking about it again, why did I want to get into med school, anyway? Guess my honest answer was because it has a clear future path; to be a doctor.  It's clearly one of the most admirable, coveted professions in the world (in Indonesia included, besides being a PNS). A golden star for parents. Who doesn't want a clear future path? 

I remember days when I had to decide my uni & major options. Mom and dad obviously wanted me to put med school first, and I was also interested in it so I did put it first. My second option was the one I actually got it: Biology. I suck at (complicated) Math and Physics, mediocre in Chemistry, and hella good (not so much actually) in Biology, so it was clear for me to put it into the considerations. In the back of my head I was aware that it wasn't a popular major here in the country but I went for it anyway just because I liked it and I thought I'd do a good 4-years in Biology...at least I liked it, right? 

If I could go back time and have words with the 18-year-old me, I'd say "Kid you better do more research on the job-seeking scene like career prospects and job demands, and whether the department promotes an advancement program to actually help you secure a significant experience for the job you aim...so you know more what you get yourself into."
Did I want to be a scientist? It sounded cool and smart and I would love to be a scientist, but I honestly I didn't know the process-of-being is not as "simple" as "getting into a pure science major would automatically makes me a scientist". Well I didn't expect that either. You asked me what my dream job? nO iDeA.

If I had known better, would I choose something else more promising? Probably. But will I go back in time (i.e to study harder) and change my choice? No I won't. Let's imagine if I had changed my options back then, is there any guarantee my future endeavor would be much easier? No.

I was just 18. Stressed enough with all kinds of exams. Stressed enough with expectations. Anxious due to the never-ending conversations on the school hallways and lectures of teachers about future choices. I was 18 and I had to make a huge decision that determines my whole future with the capability of my knowledge and wisdom at that time? That is a tough sh*t. 

I thought I knew stuff when I was actually clueless. My mind was occupied enough with all the worries and hopes... and there were limited source of information on career prospects either, compared to now. I literally just had conversations with my parents and late sister on this matter, when I probably should've seek for other opinions from relatives or maybe friends to gather more information. Did more research, as I've said. 
And things didn't just get easier after I got into uni either. The pressure was still there, even more robust since the career stuff got more real. 

It is a hard job-seeking scene out there, I reckon. People who read my previous post talking about how my job-seeking period was, already know this. Who would've thought I'd landed an internship first, then a job, which have quite nothing to do with what I've learned in college? Made me like it and thought "Wow turns out I've been living in a cave"? Made me realize how my past thoughts on working in a very different scene and taking extremely different career path was not so interesting as it was? 

I don't regret any decisions I've made (in context of education and career) in the past though. 

The questions to raise here are: Does one must have and stick to a big purpose (particularly in career)?
Or is it acceptable just to have smaller goals, each day or month or year or maybe 3-year, not knowing of what the goals lead one to? 

For me, to be clearly aware of the big purpose, from the start, and to stick to it, is the ideal case. Therefore the undertaking towards it would have more sense of a direction. Let's say if you get lost in the middle, you'd be more prepared to get back on the track towards your destination : your one big purpose.
However, that's not always the case. Throughout our years of living, meeting people, treasuring new perspectives, interests, ideas, we develop. Most of the time, the abundance of uncertainties out there requires us to evolve and adapt. You might find yourself treasuring something utterly out of your radar, and you enjoy it. 

Realistically speaking, in our career people will expect us to have it all aligned : education background, internship, first job, courses, second job, and on and on. It's great if you do, kudos for you! 
It's also okay if you don't. 'Cause we may bump into something we don't like but then we have to endure, be it for paying the bills, be it for climbing up the corporate ladder, be it for anything. They are all okay. Your so-called future path does not have to be clear by now, you will surely figure out what you really want.

I believe whatever your purpose is, big or small, single or plural, it's not necessary to overthink it (note to self too). Would be better to focus on doing good on what you've chosen, for the sake of anything that suits your expectation in life. 
You know that your job, your career, your education, don't have to define you as a human being.

Comments

Popular Posts